began construction of a tavern on what was to be known as the James River Turnpike. Joseph's son, Clifton Garland (CG), managed the tavern and its working farm of approximately 300 acres.CG and his wife Mary, along with their 16 children lived and worked on the property. Originally known as the Crossroads Tavern, the Inn has served no other purpose since its completed construction than as a stop for the weary traveler.
Goods such as flour, oats, corn, salt, bacon, whiskey, liquor and plaster all made their way across the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Adding to the significance of the Inn is the rare survival of the day books of CG Sutherland, currently kept at the Alderman Library at the University of Virginia.
The day books recorded the wages of several of CG's children and Sarah Gillocke, the teacher who employed her services here.
Another entry carefully records the number of gallons of whiskey and cider used to pay Dabney Carr, the nephew of Thomas Jefferson, for rent on the property.
The Inn is listed on the National Historic Register and has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark.
The Inn is a three bay, double pile brick tavern with three and a half stories including basement level.The building sits on top of a brick and stone foundation, is roofed with tin and has pairs of interior brick chimneys on either gable end. Put holes are found on the west end of the building, formerly providing sockets for scaffolding boards should repairs be necessary.Travelers using this road were required to pay a toll.In 1850, the general assembly decided to plank the road to improve travel and benefit the farm trade while ensuring its year-round use.The road that passes in front of the Inn today is part of the original turnpike and is aptly named "Plank Road".The road was vital to furnish farmers and planters a way to get their goods to the James River using market wagons.